Cowboy Country Museum is located on the Square at 113 S. Wetherbee St. was established in 1977 and provides visitors a "Walk back into the Old West". From historic photographs chronicling the growth of Stamford from it's founding in 1900 to antique medical equipment, farm/ranch artifacts, newspapers dating back to the early 1900's, telephone books from 1920's and subsequent years. The Museum has a plethora of historic treasurers that tell the story of the town's and the county's earlier days. Museum is open Monday thru Thursday 9:00-12:00 and 1:00-5:00. Special tours on weekends and holidays by appointment only. For information, please call the Museum at (325) 773-2500.
Centennial Cowboy statue located in front of the Stamford City Swimming Pool on West McHarg Street.
Swenson Ranch Mural located at the corner of East McHarg and North Swenson Street
Coca-Cola Park located next to the Stamford Police Department on North Swenson Street
Harmon Park and duck pond located at the corner of East Hamilton and Orient Streets
Dinosaur sculptures located across from Harmon Park
Texas Cowboy Reunion Oldtimers' Association Historical Monument located at the Oldtimers' Roundup Hall located adjacent to the Texas Cowboy Reunion Rodeo Grounds on N. US Hwy. 277
MacKenzie Trail Monument a 48,000 pound limestone sculpture located at the intersection of Hwy. 6 and 277 By-pass
Swenson Commissary built in 1900 located at the corner of S. Swenson and Gould Streets
The Johnson House built in 1905 by druggist Curtis Johnson located on N. Swenson Street
St. John's United Methodist Church, 201 S. Ferguson, was built as the church for the Stamford College, which later became McMurry University in Abilene, features stain-glassed windows and still functional bell tower
The Stamford Inn located adjacent to the City Hall on East McHarg Street, is listed as one of Stamford's haunted sights, (*Warning: Do not enter, structure is unsafe.)
Stamford Country Club and Golf Course located at 7228 Golf Course Rd., off Adams Rd., (Hwy. 142)
Lake Stamford offers boating, skiing, and fishing. Cabins and RV hookups available (325) 773-2095.
Elvis Presley came to Stamford twice. First in early 1954 while he was recording for Sun Records. The show was in the Stamford High School Auditorium and tickets were $3.00 each. He appeared several months later at the Round Up Hall located on the Texas Cowboy Reunion Rodeo grounds.
Stamford was selected as the site of Stamford College because the community raised $67,000 and donated a campus of twenty acres. Opening classes were September 17, 1906. In 1918, The Stamford College burned and was relocated to Abilene and is now known as McMurry University.
The Texas Cowboy Reunion Rodeo was organized in 1930 and was first held June 26, 27 and 28, 1930. It was organized as a means of gathering together the ever-thinning ranks of true cowboys and preserving traditions of the once great cattle empire of the Southwest. The Texas Cowboy Reunion Rodeo is known as the “World’s Largest Amateur Rodeo”. In 1940, the Quarter Horse Show was added as an attraction.
Will Rogers made his last public appearance at the Texas Cowboy Reunion Rodeo one month before he was tragically killed in a plane crash.
The Stamford Inn, a grand three story primarily wood structure with a porch running across the entire front, was originally built by the Swensons and purchased in 1919 by A. C. Cooper of Center, Texas. On December 24, 1924 at about 11:00 p.m., the structure burned. Four people tragically died in the fire: Mrs. W. B. Winters and her children Warren Jr., age 3 ˝ and Bonnie Ruth, age one year; along with E. D. Lotspeich. The cause of the fire was not determined and still remains a mystery today.
Swenson Ranches established the City of Stamford in order to provide railroad passage for transportation of commodities, although they owned land throughout Throckmorton and Shackelford counties. Swenson Ranches was deeded the land by the United States Government.
In September 1900, Stamford flooded due to the heavy rains caused by the hurricane that hit Galveston. Ten people reportedly died due to the flooding.