Stamford, Texas is on U. S. Highway 277, State Highway 6, Farm Roads 1420 and 2834 in northern Jones County. Part of Stamford is in Haskell County.
The story of the development of Stamford is as romantic as is a chapter from the Arabian Nights. The Swenson Brothers, local ranchers who owned the town site and the surrounding area, cooperated with the Texas Central Railroad to organize a town site company to market lots and develop business. H. McHarg, president of the Texas Central Railroad, named the site in 1900 for his hometown in Connecticut. The first train to travel the extension arrived in Stamford February 11, 1900. The Stamford and Northwestern Railway Company was organized to link Stamford and Spur, the leased to the Wichita Valley Railway Company in 1908. The first post office opened in December 1899 in a railroad boxcar. Many of the first merchants moved from Anson and Albany to the new city of Stamford. On January 2, 1900, a city franchise was granted to Stamford Town site Company to supply Stamford with electricity and water. The franchise was sold on June 7, 1907 to J. E. Johnson, et al; G. E. White and Guy C. Green. During 1916 these men sold to West Texas Utilities Company. In 1927, WTU made Stamford district headquarters for seven adjacent counties. By 1910, the population was 3,902. R. L. Penick, called the “Father of Stamford”, established a bank and helped to guide development; he was elected mayor in 1903, 1917, and 1919. He was also the first president of the Texas Cowboy Reunion Association.